What are the connections between Lacoste and play, this issue’s theme?
Thierry Guibert, Lacoste CEO: The principles of fair play. When I joined Lacoste three years ago, I wanted to refocus on that DNA: sportsmanship, elegance and respect.
Are you a player, in your work?
It’s important to have fun, I enjoy that. It also means taking risks, being bold. Since my arrival, Lacoste has bought the leather goods and shoes licences, to promote a coherent ecosystem.
Is there such a thing as fair play in business?
Fraternity and commitment are values for the future. In business, other people are partners, and in my teams, helping each other and fair play are essential. Lacoste’s partnership with the French Olympic team generated a lot of enthusiasm and brought people’s energies together.
What places reflect the spirit of Lacoste?
Miami, a city that’s cosmopolitan, playful, convivial, sporty and sunny. Another place for sharing is Tokyo: for its teppanyaki cuisine where the plates take shape before your eyes. And Lacoste is a partner for the 2020 Summer Olympics.
Is travel a change of scenery?
Always. I love cities, forests, the coast and the landscapes of Normandy, Miami and Cancún. If I get to spend three or four days in New York, I love to walk around all day. Tokyo teems with people yet has a friendly atmosphere. Travel captivates me.
Is there any other place where you’ve made discoveries?
In South Africa, the people are amazingly sociable and welcoming. I remember the braai, huge weekend barbecues in the bush with friends; and discovering wines in Stellenbosch Valley, east of Cape Town.
What’s your dream destination?
Argentina, which I discovered on TV during the 1978 World Cup. I want to take my kids there, explore Patagonia and go right down to Ushuaïa.
- 1970 Naissance à Saint-Maur-des-Fossés.
- 1992-1995 École supérieure de commerce de Reims.
- 1995-1999 Auditeur chez KPMG Audit.
- 1999-2006 Rejoint le groupe PPR.
- 2006-2007 Secrétaire général et directeur financier de la Fnac.
- 2007-2008 Directeur général international et développement de la Fnac.
- 2008-2014 P-DG de Conforama et membre du comité exécutif de PPR.
- 2015 P-DG de Lacoste.
- 2016 Lacoste partenaire des équipes de France olympique et paralympique lors des Jeux de Rio. 2017 Novak Djokovic devient ambassadeur Lacoste.